Saturday 7 December 2013

WINTER BEAUTY FAVOURITES






NOTE: I want to apologise for not doing a post in what seems like ages, I have been very busy with mock exams and revision, so unfortunately they had to take priority!

So I have numerous beauty products which I have been loving this winter, but I had to narrow it down to the ones that have been my all time saviours. Beauty items are essential at winter when your skin isn't looking its best because the sun is non-existent, the air is cold and drying and pale summery colours don't feel appropriate.

First of all starting with the beauty products. Skin care cannot be argued with in winter! My favourite moisturiser is currently the Clean&Clear dual action moisturiser. Finding a moisturiser that suited my skin really seemed impossible, until I started using this fabulous product. The reason I have a particular love for it is because, having combination skin (dry/oily), the previous moisturisers I had been using contained oil which did improve the dry areas but made the oily areas much worse. I don't really recommend using oil on your skin unless it is particularly dry, especially if you are susceptible to breakouts, because oil can sometimes cause pore blockages which results in spots (I know from experience unfortunately). But this moisturiser which isn't particularly pricey has worked wonders on my skin, leaving it feeling fresh and healthy without any greasy after-feeling and a reduction in breakouts. My winter must-have! Another moisturising treatment is the Body Shop body butter which I have been using on my hands and legs. If you're wondering why I use it on my legs, it's because they get quite dry after shaving so this body butter leaves them glowing and soft (always a bonus). The only downside is it does leave your skin feeling greasy for a while after, but the smell and overall effect is great. My favourite cleaning skincare has been the Tea Tree (and Witch Hazel) face mask from the Body Shop, and just Tea Tree and Witch Hazel in general. This is because they are antibacterial and I have found they leave my face feeling a lot cleaner and fresher than before.

For makeup beauty essentials, my favourite concealer (ever) has been the Rimmel Wake Me Up concealer. I don't use foundation, I do have a couple of bottles but I find it really doesn't suit me and I hate feeling a bit cakey, so instead I use this concealer on any blemishes (not my entire face) and it gives the effect of having naturally clear skin. My favourite under eye concealer which isn't shown in the photos is the Collection Lasting Perfection concealer, very cheap but very good at hiding dark circles. I have loved bronzing up my face using the Bourjois Paris Délice de Soleil bronzing powder. For me this is highly important in winter when the sun is sparse and fake tan might look a little bit out of place. I have also been loving eyeshadow this month, my favourites being the Urban Decay Naked 2 palette and dupes Maybelline colour tattoos. I love the bronze and gold colours particularly at the moment, and I find adding a dimension of colour to your eyelids looks really good. Onto my last skin beauty favourite, the MAC vanilla pigment. This is quite expensive but has been lasting me ages. I  bought it sometime at the beginning of this year and it still has the same amount inside because the pigment is so fine. I love using this in the corners of my eyes to brighten them and along my brow bone to give the effect of a defined bone structure. I only use the tiniest amount each time but when blended on my skin the pigment comes out very strong.

Onto nail care, my favourite nail treatment has been the Cutique ORLY cuticle and stain remover (hidden in the pictures, whoops). This has been brilliant at pushing down creeping cuticles and removing yellow stains from red/pink nail varnishes. I use this every time after I remove nail varnish for a minute or two and then wash it off using a nail brush and my nails have been a lot better condition since. My favourite nail varnish colours do tend to vary a lot during winter, but the ones I have been using the most are Barry M Black and Lychee. Both these colours are quite subtle but go with every outfit and look very classy. If I were to choose my favourite autumnal colours it would have to be Barry M Berry and shades of red from different brands.

The final beauty favourites aren't exactly things I can use on my body, but things that really relax my mind. I have been loving Yankee Candles, especially the Christmas ones, in my room or when I'm having a bath. Also Lauren Conrad's Beauty book, which I have found very helpful, and the Christmas Vogue. What about you?

4 comments:

  1. The photo's are so good Ellie! I really want the MAC vanilla pigment :(

    Love your blog<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thank you so much! I really recommend it, you can always ask for it for christmas?:) <3

      Delete
  2. Lovely post :) I've been loving my Bourjois Colour Boost Lip Crayon in tne berry shade! I love it!

    http://comichellex.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete