Saturday 11 January 2014

MAC LIPSTICK GUIDE



MAC lipsticks have to be one of my high street makeup guilty pleasures. I say I'm guilty because they cost £15 each which is a lot of money, but totally worth it in my opinion. I've come to the stage now where I won't be buying anymore for a while because I have a good range of colours and lipsticks aren't exactly necessities. NOTE: some of these were bought as christmas/birthday presents and they were all bought over time (oh, and I apologise for my chipped nail varnish).

So there's actually more to lipstick than just being able to pick it up at the counter and purchase it, which you might think sounds weird but we have to think about it in a more...artistic view. For example, complimenting and suiting your complexion. I can't say I'm lipstick guru, as I only own these eight as examples, but I have researched this and read about it in books. In other words, if you were putting on an outfit, you would put a pink top with green trousers would you? (The thing is I actually did that once, which is ironic really!) So here is my short guide to lipstick complexion:

If you have...

Brown/hazel eyes and brown hair (like myself)
Most colours suit, however I avoid really dark reds and purples as this will be a dark overload.

Blue/green eyes and brown hair
Pinks, corals and neutrals are my top pick for this look. In my opinion Costa Chic and Girl About Town would really compliment this complexion.

Brown/hazel eyes and blonde or mousey brown hair
Because you have an area of dark but also an area of light in your complexion, most colours will suit you. I might try and avoid really dark lipstick, this might look a bit gothic unless you're aiming for that style.

Blue/green eyes and blonde or mousey brown hair
Dark and light pinks, and orange-toned reds. Ones I recommend out of the eight above would be So Chaud, Costa Chic, Pink Nouveau and Candy Yum-Yum. Avoid neutrals - they might make you look washed out.

Brown/hazel eyes and ginger hair
Dark reds look lovely with this look, pinks and you could even throw in a few neutrals. Avoid orange toned reds, however, this might possibly clash with your gorgeous ginger hair. I recommend RIRI/Ruby Woo, Russian Red (not shown above) and Pink Nouveau.

Blue/green eyes and ginger hair
Reds, pinks and light purples. In all honesty most colours will suit this look, however avoid pale neutrals and really dark lipsticks, these can make you look washed out.

I hope this was helpful! Please don't think that if I didn't mention a shade it won't suit you, I could easily be wrong, this is just an overall idea of colours that best suit general complexions. I haven't included dyed hair because you should still place your lipstick shade around your original complexion, however if this doesn't work for you I suggest finding the most similar in the ones listed above.

So what are my favourite and least favourite MAC lipsticks that I own? Out of the eight above, Candy Yum-Yum is my favourite because I love highly pigmented lipsticks and I find this one stays on a long time, and it's also a gorgeous barbie-pink. RIRI WOO is one I have found to stay on the longest however it is very matte which does tend to make my lips feel quite dry. My least favourite, which may seem like a surprise, is Creme Cup. It's a lovely shade however I am not fond of the Creme Sheens because although they are very moisturising I have found it doesn't stay on for very long and doesn't set. However I'm not saying to avoid them, for you they might work better.

Due to school work I'll only be able to post once a week from now on which is a shame because I love posting and receiving your lovely feedback.

8 comments:

  1. How did you create the design for your blog? It's lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the banner and widgets on Artrage and Photoshop and then developed the HTML codes:) thank you!x

      Delete
  2. Okay thanks! Loved this post by the way, very helpful x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post :) it's safe to say I have serious mac envy! X

    http://theressomethingaboutalice.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are unfortunately really expensive:( you could always ask for your birthday or something if you don't want to save up though?:) x

      Delete
  4. Hey! Because I love reading your blog, i've nominated you for the Liebster Award! The details are on my blog http://blondiei.blogspot.co.uk :) X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I just nominated you for the Liebster blogger award, specifically created for blogs with under 200 followers, because I love your blog content!
    Take a look at my blog for the rules and questions ^-^
    Holly x
    http://hollytea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete